Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 52,419 sq miles; Land Only: 50,744 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Central Time Zone|
||Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee|
|Highest Point||Cheaha Mountain, 2,413 feet|
|State Population (2015)||4,858,979|
|State Population Density||95.8 people / square mile|
||205, 251, 256, 334, 659, 938|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
Government & Legislature
||Red hills salamander|
|State Fresh Water Fish
|State Game Bird
||Star blue quartz|
||Hematite (red iron ore)|
||Audemus jura nostra defendere (We dare defend our rights)|
||Pine burr quilt|
||Alabama red-bellied turtle|
|State Salt Water Fish
||Scaphella junonia johnstoneae|
||Bama soil series|
||Conecuh ridge Alabama fine whiskey|
|State Tree Fruit
Famous People Born In Alabama
Nobel Prize Winners
- Frederick C. Robbins (Physiology or Medicine, 1954)
Pro Football Hall Of Fame Members
- Bart Starr (Quarterback. Inducted in 1977)
- Buck Buchanan (Defensive Tackle. Inducted in 1990)
- Ozzie Newsome (Tight End. Inducted in 1999)
- John Stallworth (Wide Receiver. Inducted in 2002)
- Andre Tippett (Linebacker. Inducted in 2008)
- Walter Jones (Offensive Tackle. Inducted in 2014)
- Ken Stabler (Quarterback. Inducted in 2016)
Famous Actors And Actresses
- Louise Fletcher
- Octavia Spencer
- Channing Tatum
Alabama Fun Facts
- Birmingham is home to Vulcan, the world's largest cast iron statue. It is made of 100,000 pounds of iron and is 56 feet tall.
- Alabama is the only state with a State Quilt: Pine Burr Quilt.
- The Unclaimed Baggage Center is located in Scottsboro. The inventory of this store are the lost luggages from airlines.
- The Saturn boosters, which were the rockets to put humans on the moon, were built in NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville. Huntsville is known as "The Rocket City." Some call it the "Rocket Capital of the World."
- On February 16, 1968, the first 911 call in the United States was made in Haleyville, Alabama.
- In Magnolia Springs, Alabama, mail is delivered by boat. This is the only city in the United States with all-water mail routes.
- Alabama is the only state to have an alcoholic beverage as its official drink.
- In 1703, Mobile became the first city in the American Continent to celebrate Mardi Gras, 15 years before New Orleans did so.
- In 1886, the world's first Electric Trolley System was introduced in Montgomery.
- In 1836 Alabama became the first state in the United States to declare Christmas a legal holiday.
This page was last updated on August 31, 2016.