Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 113,998 sq miles; Land Only: 113,635 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Mountain Time Zone|
||California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah|
|Highest Point||Humphreys Peak, 12,637 feet|
Grand Canyon National Park
Petrified Forest National Park
Saguaro National Park
|State Population (2015)||6,828,065|
|State Population Density||60.1 people / square mile|
||480, 520, 602, 623, 928|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
Government & Legislature
|State Amphibian||Arizona tree frog|
|State Butterfly||Two-tailed swallowtail|
|State Colors||Blue and gold|
|State Fish||Apache trout|
||Saguaro cactus blossom|
|State Fossil||Petrified wood|
||Ditat Deus (God enriches)|
|State Neckware||Bola tie|
||The Grand Canyon State|
|State Reptile||Arizona ridge-nosed rattlesnake|
|Major Sports Teams
||MLB: Arizona Diamondbacks|
NFL: Arizona Cardinals
NBA: Phoenix Suns
NHL: Phoenix Coyotes
|NCAA Division I Schools
University of Arizona (Pac-12)
Arizona State University (Pac-12)
Northern Arizona University (Big Sky)
Famous People Born In Arizona
Pro Football Hall Of Fame Members
- Randall McDaniel (Guard. Inducted in 2009)
- Curley Culp (Defensive Tackle. Inducted in 2013)
Arizona Fun Facts
- Arizona's name originated from the Spanish name, Arizonac, which in turn was derived from an Indian word, alî ṣonak, meaning "small spring."
- Arizona is the only state with an official state neckware, the bola tie.
- Arizona is the largest copper producing state in the Unites States, accounting for 60% of all copper production in the country.
- Arizona state has 18 national monuments, more than any other state in the Unites States
- In 1930, Clyde Tombaugh discovered Pluto from the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona.
- "Skydive Arizona" is the largest skydiving center in the world.
- Arizona is one of the only two states that does not observe Daylight Savings time (Hawaii is the other).
- The only place in the country where mail is delivered by mule is the village of Supai, located at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
- Arizona is one of the states that form the Four Corners, the only location in the United States where four states intersect at one point. The other three states are Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah.
- In Arizona, it is illegal for donkeys to sleep in bathtubs.
This page was last updated on August 29, 2016.