||December 7, 1787|
||Total (Land + Water): 2,489 sq miles; Land Only: 1,954 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
|State Population (2015)||945,934|
|State Population Density||484.1 people / square mile|
|State Quarter Issue Date
||January 4, 1999|
||Liberty and Independence|
||Blue Hen Chicken|
||Diamond State; First State|
|State Gas Tax||$0.2300 / Gallon|
|State Cigarette Tax||$1.60 / Pack|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
|Major Sports Teams
Delaware Fun Facts
- Delaware was named after the Delaware River and Bay, which in turn was named after Thomas West (Lord De La Warr), the governor of the Colony of Virginia in 1610.
- Due to the lenient banking laws of Delaware, over half of all publicly traded corporations in the United States are incorporated in Delaware.
- Delaware is one of the five states in the United States that do not impose a state sales tax.
- Delaware has the smallest number of counties of any state in the Unites States, with only three: New Castle, Kent, and Sussex.
- With an average elevation of only 18 m (60 ft), Delaware is the lowest state in the Unites States.
- Delaware is the only state without any National Park System units such as national parks, historic sites, battlefields, memorials, monuments, and seashores.
- Delaware is one of the two states in the United States with an official State Herb, sweet golden rod.
- At its widest point, Delaware is only 35 miles in width.
- In Delaware, it's illegal to show R-rated movies at drive-in theaters.