Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 2,489 sq miles; Land Only: 1,954 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Eastern Time Zone|
||Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania|
|Highest Point||Near the Ebright Azimuth, 447 feet|
|State Population (2015)||945,934|
|State Population Density||484.1 people / square mile|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
Government & Legislature
||Blue hen chicken|
|State Bug||Lady bug|
|State Butterfly||Tiger swallowtail|
|State Dessert||Peach pie|
|State Herb||Sweet golden rod|
|State Marine Animal||Horseshoe crab|
||Liberty and Independence|
||Diamond State; First State|
|State Star||Delaware Diamond|
|State Wildlife Animal||Grey Fox|
|Major Sports Teams
|NCAA Division I Schools
University of Delaware (Colonial Athletic Association)
Delaware State University (Mid-Eastern Athletic)
Delaware Fun Facts
- Delaware was named after the Delaware River and Bay, which in turn was named after Thomas West (Lord De La Warr), the governor of the Colony of Virginia in 1610.
- Due to the lenient banking laws of Delaware, over half of all publicly traded corporations in the United States are incorporated in Delaware.
- On December 21, 1776, Delaware became the first state with a State Constitution.
- Delaware is one of the five states in the United States that do not impose a state sales tax.
- Delaware has the smallest number of counties of any state in the Unites States, with only three: New Castle, Kent, and Sussex.
- With an average elevation of only 60 feet, Delaware is the lowest state in the Unites States.
- Delaware is the only state without any National Park System units such as national parks, historic sites, battlefields, memorials, monuments, and seashores.
- Delaware is one of the two states in the United States with an official State Herb, sweet golden rod.
- At its widest point, Delaware is only 35 miles in width.
- In Delaware, it's illegal to show R-rated movies at drive-in theaters.
This page was last updated on August 20, 2016.