Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 56,272 sq miles; Land Only: 55,869 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Central Time Zone|
||Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wisconsin|
|Highest Point||Hawkeye Point, 1,671 feet|
|State Population (2015)||3,123,899|
|State Population Density||55.9 people / square mile|
||319, 515, 563, 641, 712|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
Des Moines (203,433)
Cedar Rapids (126,326)
Sioux City (82,684)
Government & Legislature
||Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain|
Famous People Born In Iowa
Nobel Prize Winners
- Norman Borlaug (Peace, 1970)
- Edwin G. Krebs (Physiology or Medicine, 1992)
- Stanley B. Prusiner (Physiology or Medicine, 1997)
- Alan Heeger (Chemistry, 2000)
United States Presidents
- Herbert Hoover (31st President)
Baseball Hall Of Fame Players
- Cap Anson (First Baseman. Inducted in 1939)
- Fred Clarke (Left Fielder. Inducted in 1945)
- Dazzy Vance (Pitcher. Inducted in 1955)
- Bob Feller (Pitcher. Inducted in 1962)
- Red Faber (Pitcher. Inducted in 1964)
- Dave Bancroft (Shortstop. Inducted in 1971)
Famous Actors And Actresses
- Cloris Leachman
- Michelle Monaghan
- John Wayne
Iowa Fun Facts
- Iowa derives its name from the Ioway people, one of the Native American tribes that made the region their home.
- Iowa is the only state in the Unites States whose eastern and western borders are formed entirely by rivers.
- Iowa is the only state in the United States that has two vowels as the first two letters of its name and has two vowels as its state abbreviation (IA).
- Iowa is called "The Hawkeye State" to honor Indian Chief Black Hawk.
- Iowan Arabella Mansfield the first female lawyer in the United States. She was admitted to the Iowa bar in 1869.
- Iowa is the largest producer of ethanol among all the states in the United States. Not surprisingly, Iowa is also the largest producer of corn among all U.S. states.
- The novel and movie “The Bridges of Madison County” was set in Madison County, Iowa.
- Iowa State University is the oldest land grant college in the United States.
- In Iowa, ministers must obtain a permit to carry their liquor across state lines.
This page was last updated on September 25, 2016.