Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 10,555 sq miles; Land Only: 7,840 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Eastern Time Zone|
||Connecticut, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont|
|Highest Point||Mount Greylock, 3,489 feet|
|State Population (2015)||6,794,422|
|State Population Density||866.6 people / square mile|
||339, 351, 413, 508, 617, 774, 781, 857, 978|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
Government & Legislature
|State Beverage||Cranberry juice|
|State Cat||Tabby cat|
|State Cookie||Chocolate chip cookie|
|State Dessert||Boston cream pie|
|State Dog||Boston terrier|
|State Folk Hero||Johnny Appleseed|
|State Fossil||Dinosaur tracks|
|State Horse||Morgan horse|
||Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem (By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty)|
|State Muffin||Corn muffin|
||Bay State; Old Colony State
|Major Sports Teams
||MLB: Boston Red Sox|
NFL: New England Patriots
NBA: Boston Celtics
NHL: Boston Bruins
|NCAA Division I Schools
Boston College (ACC)
Boston University (Patriot)
Harvard University (Ivy)
College of the Holy Cross (Patriot)
University of Massachusetts Amherst (Atlantic 10)
Northeastern University (Colonial Athletic Association)
Massachusetts Fun Facts
- British colonist John Smith named Massachusetts for the Massachusett tribe. The name "Massachusetts" meant “near the great hill.”
- The first lighthouse in the United States was built on Little Brewster Island in the Boston Harbor in 1716.
- Basketball was invented in December 1891 by James Naismith in Springfield.
- Volleyball was invented in 1895 by William Morgan in Holyoke. Volleyball was originally called "Mintonette."
- Boston Common, established in 1634, is the first public park in the United States.
- The Boston subway, which opened on September 1, 1897, is the first subway system in the United States.
- Boston Public Library is the second largest public library in the United States. Harvard University Library, also in Boston, is the third largest library in the United States.
- The first telephone call in history was made between inventor Alexander Graham Bell and his assistant, Thomas Watson, on March 10, 1876, in Boston. Bell spoke the words, “Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you” and Watson heard it from the receiver in the next room.
- Boston Latin School, founded in 1635, is the first public school in the United States. It is also the oldest existing school in the United States.
- In 2003, Massachusetts became the first stage to legalize same-sex marriage.
- In Massachusetts, it is illegal to give alcoholic beverages to a hospital patient, unless directed by a physician.
- The first printed book in the United States was the Bay Psalm Book, first printed in 1640 in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
This page was last updated on August 21, 2016.