Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 86,939 sq miles; Land Only: 79,610 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Central Time Zone|
||Iowa, Michigan (water border), North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin|
|Highest Point||Eagle Mountain, 2,302 feet|
|National Parks||Voyageurs National Park|
|State Population (2015)||5,489,594|
|State Population Density||69.0 people / square mile|
||218, 320, 507, 612, 651, 763, 952|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
St. Paul (285,068)
Government & Legislature
|State Butterfly||Monarch butterfly|
||Lady slipper |
|State Fruit||Honeycrisp apple|
|State Gemstone||Lake Superior agate|
|State Grain||Northern wild rice|
||L'Étoile du Nord (The star of the North)|
|State Muffin||Blueberry muffin|
|State Mushroom||Morel mushroom|
||North Star State; Gopher State; Land of 10,000 Lakes|
|State Photograph||Grace by Eri Enstrom|
|State Poem||Minnesota Blue|
||Norway pine (also called red pine)|
|Major Sports Teams
||MLB: Minnesota Twins|
NFL: Minnesota Vikings
NBA: Minnesota Timberwolves
NHL: Minnesota Wild
|NCAA Division I Schools
University of Minnesota (Big Ten)
Minnesota Fun Facts
- The state of Minnesota was named after the Dakota Indian name for the Minnesota River, "Minisota," which means "sky-tinted water."
- The Minneapolis Sculpture Garden is the largest urban sculpture garden in the United States.
- The Minneapolis Skyway System is a collection of enclosed pedestrian footbridges that connects 69 blocks over 11 miles of Minneapolis. This system allows people to walk in climate-controlled comfort all year.
- Southdale Center in Edina was the first enclosed climate-controlled mall in America.
- The Mall of America in Bloomington, with a retail space of 4.2 million square feet, is the largest shopping mall in the United States.
- Though Minnesota is called "The Land of 10,000 Lakes," it actually has 11,842 lakes that are at least 10 acres or more in area.
- Gates Mansion, the first home to have air conditioning in the United States, was built in Minneapolis in 1914. The unit in the Minneapolis mansion of Charles Gates was approximately 7 feet high, 6 feet wide, and 20 feet long.
- The first Target store opened in Roseville on May 1, 1962.
- Minnesota is the only state with an official State Photograph, Grace by Eric Enstrom.
- In Minnesota, it is illegal to stand around a building without a good reason to be there.
This page was last updated on August 21, 2016.