Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 147,042 sq miles; Land Only: 145,552 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Mountain Time Zone|
||Idaho, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming|
|Highest Point||Granite Peak, 12,807 feet|
|National Parks||Glacier National Park|
|State Population (2015)||1,032,949|
|State Population Density||7.1 people / square mile|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
Great Falls (58,505)
Butte-Silver Bow (33,525)
Government & Legislature
|State Ballad||Montana Melody|
|State Butterfly||Mourning cloak|
|State Fish||Westslope cutthroat trout|
|State Fossil||Duck-billed dinosaur|
|State Gem||Sapphire and agate|
|State Grass||Bluebunch wheatgrass|
|State Mammal||Grizzly bear|
||Oro y plata (Gold and silver)|
Famous People Born In Montana
Nobel Prize Winners
- Brian P. Schmidt (Physics, 2011)
Montana Fun Facts
- Montana's name is derived from the Spanish word "montaña" meaning “mountainous."
- Montana is the only state in the United States to share land border with three Canadian provinces: British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.
- Montana is home to the hydrological apex of North America on Triple Divide Peak. From this spot, water flows to three oceans: Hudson Bay (Arctic), Gulf of Mexico (Atlantic), and the Pacific Ocean.
- Jeannette Rankin of Missoula, Montana, was the first woman elected to the United States Congress. On November 9, 1969, she was elected to the House of Representatives.
- The coldest temperature on record for the contiguous United States was -70°F (-57°C) recorded on January 20, 1954, in Rogers Pass, Montana.
- The largest snowflake ever observed was 15 inches wide. It was recorded at Fort Keogh, Montana, on January 28, 1887.
- The Montana city of Loma holds the world record for the greatest temperature change in 24 hours. On January 14-15, 1972, the temperature rose from -54°F to 49°F, a change of 103 °F.
- Yellowstone National Park in southern Montana and northern Wyoming was the first national park in the United States.
- In Montana, it is illegal ro pretend to abuse an animal in the presence of a minor.
This page was last updated on August 28, 2016.