Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 71,300 sq miles; Land Only: 66,544 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Pacific Time Zone|
|Highest Point||Mount Rainier, 14,417 feet|
|National Parks||Mount Rainier National Park
North Cascades National Park
Olympic National Park
|State Population (2015)||7,170,351|
|State Population Density||107.8 people / square mile|
||206, 253, 360, 425, 509, 564|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
Government & Legislature
|State Amphibian||Pacific chorus frog|
|State Dance||Square dance|
|State Endemic Mammal||Olympic marmot|
|State Fish||Steelhead trout|
|State Folk Song||"Roll On, Columbia, Roll On"|
|State Fossil||Columbian mammoth|
|State Gem||Petrified wood|
|State Grass||Bluebunch wheatgrass|
|State Insect||Green darner dragonfly|
|State Marine Mammal||Orca|
||Al-ki (By and by)|
|State Oyster||Ostrea lurida|
|State Ship||Lady Washington|
|State Song||"Washington, My Home"|
|State Vegetable||Walla Walla sweet onion|
|State Waterfall||Palouse Falls|
Washington Fun Facts
- The state of Washington was named after the first president of the United States, George Washington. It is the only state to be named after a president.
- Washington state is the largest producer of apples in the United States.
- Boeing’s Everett factory is the world’s largest building by volume, covering 4.3 million square feet and encompassing 472 million cubic feet of space.
- Harbor Island, located in the mouth of Seattle’s Duwamish Waterway, is the largest man-made island in the United States.
- The world’s largest coffeehouse chain, Starbucks, was founded in Seattle, Washington, in 1971.
- 57 people perished in the 1980 Mount St. Helens eruption, the deadliest volcano eruption in the recorded history of the United States.
- Washington state flag is the only U.S. state flag with a field of green as well as the only state flag with the image of an American president.
- Seattle is home to the first revolving restaurant in the 48 contiguous United States, the SkyCity Restaurant on top of the Space Needle.
- Washington has more glaciers than any of the other 47 contiguous states.
- Washington is the only state with an official State Oyster: Ostrea lurida.
- In 2012, Washington (along with Colorado) became the first to legalize marijuana (weed) for recreational use.
- In 2007, Washington became the first state to ban texting while driving.
This page was last updated on August 24, 2016.