Florida is known for:
- Theme parks
- Warm and humid weather
- Oranges and grapefruits
Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 65,755 sq miles; Land Only: 53,927 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Eastern Time Zone, Central Time Zone|
|Highest Point||Britton Hill, 345 feet|
|National Parks||Biscayne National Park
Dry Tortugas National Park
Everglades National Park
|State Population (2020)||21,538,187|
|State Population Density||399.4 people / square mile|
||239, 305, 321, 352, 386, 407, 448, 561, 656, 689, 727, 754, 772, 786, 813, 850, 863, 904, 927, 941, 954|
|Top 5 Cities (2020 population)
St. Petersburg (267,802)
Government & Legislature
|State Beverage||Orange juice|
|State Butterfly||Zebra longwing|
||Orange blossom |
|State Fresh Water Fish||Florida largemouth bass|
|State Marine Mammal||Manatee|
||In God We Trust|
|State Pie||Key lime pie|
|State Reptile||American alligator|
|State Salt Water Fish||Sailfish|
|State Salt Water Mammal||Porpoise (dolphin)|
|State Shell||Horse conch (giant band shell)|
|State Stone||Agatized coral|
|Major Sports Teams
||MLB: Miami Marlins, Tampa Bay Rays|
NFL: Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars
NBA: Miami Heat, Orlando Magic
NHL: Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning
MLS: Inter Miami CF, Orlando City SC
USFL: Tampa Bay Bandits
|NCAA Division I Schools
Bethune-Cookman University (Mid-Eastern Athletic)
University of Central Florida (American Athletic)
University of Florida (SEC)
Florida A&M University (Mid-Eastern Athletic)
Florida Atlantic University (Conference USA)
Florida Gulf Coast University (Atlantic Sun)
Florida International University (Conference USA)
Florida State University (ACC)
Jacksonville University (Atlantic Sun)
University of Miami (ACC)
University of North Florida (Atlantic Sun)
University of South Florida (American Athletic)
Stetson University (Atlantic Sun)
Popular Tourist Attractions
- Adventure Island: Water park in Tampa, Florida.
- Amelia Island: Island off the coast of northeastern Florida.
- Anna Maria Island: Island on the coast of Manatee County, Florida.
- Busch Gardens: Theme park in Tampa, Florida.
- Discovery Cove: Amusement park in Orlando, Florida.
- Everglades National Park: National park in southern Florida.
- Gatorland: Theme park and wildlife preserve in Orlando, Florida.
- Kennedy Space Center: NASA space center in Merritt Island, Florida.
- Legoland Florida: Theme park and water park in Winter Haven, Florida.
- Lion Country Safari: Drive-through safari park in Loxahatchee, Florida.
- ZooTampa at Lowry Park Zoo: Zoo in Tampa, Florida.
- Miami Beach: Coastal resort city in Florida.
- Miami Seaquarium: Aquarium in Key Biscayne, Florida, near downtown Miami.
- SeaWorld Orlando: Theme park in Orlando, Florida.
- Universal Orlando: Theme park in Orlando, Florida.
- Walt Disney World: Theme park in Bay Lake, Florida.
Popular Iconic Florida Foods
Florida is famous for the following foods:
- Key Lime Pie
- Cuban Sandwich
- Conch Fritters
- Stone Crabs
- Apalachicola Oysters
- Fried Gator Bites
- Publix Sub
- Cedar Key Clams
- Florida Orange Juice
Famous People Born In Florida
Nobel Prize Winners
Pro Football Hall Of Fame Members
- Pete Pihos (End. Inducted in 1970)
- Deacon Jones (Defensive End. Inducted in 1980)
- Jack Youngblood (Defensive End. Inducted in 2001)
- Michael Irvin (Wide Receiver. Inducted in 2007)
- Bob Hayes (Wide Receiver. Inducted in 2009)
- Derrick Thomas (Linebacker. Inducted in 2009)
- Rickey Jackson (Linebacker. Inducted in 2010)
- Emmitt Smith (Running Back. Inducted in 2010)
- Deion Sanders (Cornerback, Kick Returner. Inducted in 2011)
- Warren Sapp (Defensive Tackle. Inducted in 2013)
- Derrick Brooks (Linebacker. Inducted in 2014)
- Brian Dawkins (Safety. Inducted in 2018)
- Ray Lewis (Linebacker. Inducted in 2018)
Baseball Hall Of Fame Players
- Pop Lloyd (Shortstop. Inducted in 1977)
- Steve Carlton (Pitcher. Inducted in 1994)
- Andre Dawson (Right Fielder. Inducted in 2010)
- Tim Raines (Left Fielder. Inducted in 2017)
- Chipper Jones (Third Baseman. Inducted in 2018)
Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame Players
- David Robinson (Center. Inducted in 2009)
- Artis Gilmore (Center. Inducted in 2011)
- Mitch Richmond (Guard. Inducted in 2014)
- Tracy McGrady (Guard-Forward. Inducted in 2017)
Famous Actors And Actresses
- Faye Dunaway
- William H. Macy
- Sidney Poitier
- Debbie Harry
- Jim Morrison
- Tom Petty
- Flo Rida
Florida Fun Facts
- The name Florida was given by Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon when he discovered the land in 1513. He originally called it Pascua Florida, which means "Flowery Easter."
- Saint Augustine is the oldest European settlement in North America. It was established in 1565.
- Florida has the longest coastline in the contiguous United States (1,350 miles or 2,170 km), and is the only state in the United States that borders both the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Florida is the only state in the nation whose Constitution is reviewed every 20 years.
- Gatorade was named for the University of Florida Gators where the drink was first developed
- Key Largo is known as the Diving Capital of the World.
- Young aviator Antony H Jannus made history on January 1, 1914, when he flew the world's first scheduled passenger service airline flight from St. Petersburg to Tampa.
- Fort Lauderdale is known as the Venice of America because the city has 185 miles of local waterways.
- Florida is the only state that has 2 rivers with the same name. There is a Withlacoochee River in north central Florida and a Withlacoochee River in central Florida. They have nothing in common except the name.
- The Florida State Constitution allows for pregnant pigs not to be confined in cages.
This page was last updated on July 31, 2022.