This page contains a wealth of information on the state of Georgia. Please click on the type of the fact that you are interested in:
Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 59,425 sq miles; Land Only: 57,906 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Eastern Time Zone|
||Alabama, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee|
|Highest Point||Brasstown Bald, 4,784 feet|
|State Population (2020)||10,725,274|
|State Population Density||185.2 people / square mile|
||229, 404, 470, 478, 678, 706, 762, 770, 912|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
Government & Legislature
|State Amphibian||Green tree frog|
|State Fish||Largemouth bass|
||Cherokee rose |
|State Marine Mammal||Right whale|
||Wisdom, justice, and moderation|
||Peach State; Empire State of the South
|State Reptile||Gopher tortoise|
|State Vegetable||Vidalia onion|
Popular Tourist Attractions
Famous People Born In Georgia
Nobel Prize Winners
United States Presidents
- Jimmy Carter (39th President)
Pro Football Hall Of Fame Members
- Marion Motley (Fullback. Inducted in 1968)
- Jim Brown (Fullback. Inducted in 1971)
- Jim Parker (Offensive Guard, Offensive Tackle. Inducted in 1972)
- Mel Blount (Cornerback. Inducted in 1989)
- John Hannah (Guard. Inducted in 1991)
- Larry Little (Guard. Inducted in 1993)
- Rayfield Wright (Offensive Tackle. Inducted in 2006)
- Richard Dent (Defensive End. Inducted in 2011)
- Ray Guy (Punter. Inducted in 2014)
- Kevin Mawae (Center. Inducted in 2019)
Baseball Hall Of Fame Players
- Ty Cobb (Center Fielder. Inducted in 1936)
- Bill Terry (First Baseman. Inducted in 1954)
- Jackie Robinson (Second Baseman. Inducted in 1962)
- Josh Gibson (Catcher. Inducted in 1972)
- Johnny Mize (First Baseman. Inducted in 1981)
- Frank Thomas (First Baseman. Inducted in 2014)
Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame Players
- Walt Frazier (Guard. Inducted in 1987)
- Teresa Edwards (Guard. Inducted in 2011)
Famous Actors And Actresses
- Holly Hunter
- Julia Roberts
- Joanne Woodward
- Ray Charles
- Amy Grant
- Alan Jackson
- Jennifer Paige
- Otis Redding
- Kanye West
Georgia Fun Facts
- Georgia was named for King George II of England.
- Georgia was founded in 1732 by British Member of Parliament James Oglethorpe. Oglethorpe's original intention was to use the colony as a place for debt-ridden people to get a fresh start.
- Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi River.
- Georgia has seven official natural wonders: Amicalola Falls, the Okefenokee Swamp, Providence Canyon, Radium Springs, Stone Mountain, Tallulah Gorge, and Warm Springs.
- Coca-Cola was invented in May 1886 by John Pemberton in Atlanta, Georgia.
- The popular theme park - Six Flags Over Georgia, was actually named for six flags that flew over the lands that comprise of present-day Georgia. The six flags are that of England, Spain, France, Confederate States of America, United States, and Georgia.
- In Georgia, it's illegal to live on a boat for more than 30 days during a calendar year.
- Wesleyan College in Macon was the first college in the world established as a full college for women. It started in 1836 as Georgia Female College.
- Georgia is the only state with an official State Crop, peanut.
- The Hatsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport is the world's busiest airport in terms of number of passengers served.
This page was last updated on April 27, 2021.