This page contains a wealth of information on the state of Hawaii. Please click on the type of the fact that you are interested in:
Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 10,931 sq miles; Land Only: 6,423 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Hawaii-Aleutian Time Zone|
|Highest Point||Mauna Kea on the Island of Hawaii, 13,803 feet|
|National Parks||Haleakala National Park
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
|State Population (2020)||1,460,137|
|State Population Density||227.3 people / square mile|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
Pearl City (47,698)
Government & Legislature
|State Fish||Rectangular triggerfish|
|State Gem||Ekaha ku moana (black coral)|
|State Individual Sport||Surfing|
|State Insect||Pulelehua (Kamehameha butterfly)|
|State Kahiko Musical Instrument||Pahu|
|State Land Mammal||Hawaiian hoary bat|
|State Mammal||Hawaiian monk seal|
|State Marine Mammal||Humpback whale|
||Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono (The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness)|
||Aloha State |
|State Spirit||The Aloha Spirit|
|State Team Sport||Outrigger canoe paddling|
||Kukui (also called candlenut tree)|
Popular Tourist Attractions
- Aulani: Resort hotel in Kapolei, on the island of Oahu.
- Diamond Head: State park in Honolulu, on the island of Oahu.
- Haleakala National Park: National park on the southeastern part of Maui.
- Hanauma Bay: State park in the Hawaii Kai neighborhood, on the island of Oahu.
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park: Volcano park on the Big Island.
- Honolulu Zoo: Zoo in Honolulu, on the island of Oahu.
- Kilauea: Active volcano on the Big Island.
- Lanikai Beach: Beach in Kailua, on the island of Oahu.
- Kualoa Ranch: Natural reserve and cattle ranch in Kaneohe, on the island of Oahu.
- Mauna Kea: Dormant volcano on the Big Island.
- Pearl Harbor: Sea harbor and historical landmark on the island of Oahu.
- Polynesian Cultural Center: Theme park in Laie, on the island of Oahu.
- Road to Hana: Scenic road that connects the towns Kahului and Hana on the island of Maui.
- Turtle Bay Resort: Resort hotel in Kahuku, on the island of Oahu.
- USS Arizona: Historic battleship in Honolulu, on the island of Oahu.
- USS Missouri: Historic battleship in Honolulu, on the island of Oahu.
- Waikiki Beach: Beach in Honolulu, on the island of Oahu.
Famous People Born In Hawaii
Nobel Prize Winners
United States Presidents
- Barak Obama (44th President)
Famous Actors And Actresses
- Lauren Graham
- Nicole Kidman
- Jason Momoa
- Yvonne Elliman
- Anuhea Jenkins
- Bruno Mars
Hawaii Fun Facts
- Iolani Palace in Honolulu is the only royal palace in the United States.
- Hawaii is the southernmost state in the United States.
- Ka Lae on the Big Island of Hawaii is the southernmost point in the United States.
- Hawaii is the only state that grows coffee.
- Hawaii is one of the two states in the United States that do not observe Daylight Savings Time (Arizona is the other).
- In Hawaii you will be fined for riding in the back of a passenger car without a seatbelt, however you can ride in the bed of a pickup truck with no safety equipment
- By law, no building on Kauai is allowed to be built taller than a palm tree.
- Hawaii is the only state in the United States to honor a king, celebrating King Kamehameha Day on June 11th since 1872. King Kamehameha I (Kamehameha the Great) is known for uniting the Hawaiian Islands in 1810.
- There are only 12 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet. Vowels include A, E, I, O, and U. Consonants include H, K, L, M, N, P, and W.
- The widest state from east to west is Hawaii, stretching across 1,500 miles.
- In 1970, Hawaii became the first state to legalize abortions on the request of the woman.
This page was last updated on April 27, 2021.