This page contains a wealth of information on the state of Maine. Please click on the type of the fact that you are interested in:
Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 35,385 sq miles; Land Only: 30,862 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Eastern Time Zone|
|Highest Point||Mount Katahdin, 5,270 feet|
|National Parks||Acadia National Park|
|State Population (2015)||1,329,328|
|State Population Density||43.1 people / square mile|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
South Portland (25,002)
Government & Legislature
|State Berry||Wild blueberry|
|State Cat||Maine coon cat|
|State Crustacean||Maine lobster|
|State Dessert||Blueberry pie|
|State Fish||Landlocked salmon|
||White pine cone and tassel |
|State Fossil||Pertica quadrifaria|
|State Heritage Fish||Eastern brook trout, Blueback charr|
||Dirigo (I lead)|
||Pine Tree State|
|State Treat||Whoopie pie|
Popular Tourist Attractions
- Acadia National Park: National park in Mount Desert Island, Maine.
- Sunday River: Ski resort in Newry, Maine.
- Bay of Fundy: Bay on the Atlantic coast between Maine and Canada.
- Portland Head Light: Lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.
- Victoria Mansion: Museum in Portland, Maine.
- Mount Katahdin: Highest mountain in Maine, located in Baxter State Park.
- Old Port: A strict of Portland, Maine, known for its cobblestone streets, 19th century brick buildings and fishing piers.
- Portland Museum of Art: Art museum in Portland, Maine.
- Casco Bay: Inlet of the Gulf of Maine on the southern coast of Maine.
- Fort Knox: State park in Prospect, Maine.
- Funtown Splashtown USA: Amusement park and water park in Saco, Maine.
- Peaks Island: Most populous island in Casco Bay, Maine.
- Desert of Maine: Campground in Freeport, Maine.
- Sebago Lake State Park: State park in Naples, Maine.
- Portland Observatory: Historic maritime signal tower and museum in Portland, Maine.
- Two Lights State Park: State park in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.
- Fort Williams Park: Park in Cape Elizabeth, Maine.
Famous People Born In Maine
Famous Actors And Actresses
- Patrick Dempsey
- Anna Kendrick
- Rachel Nichols
Maine Fun Facts
- Maine is the only state in the United States with one syllable.
- Maine is the only state with just on other state on its border, New Hampshire.
- Eastport, Maine, is the eastern most city in the United States.
- Maine is the biggest harvester of lobsters in the United States.
- In 1641, York became America’s first chartered city.
- The nation's first sawmill was established near York in 1623.
- You can be charged a fine in Maine for leaving your Christmas decorations up after January 14.
- Maine is one of two states with an official State Herb, wintergreen.
- Retailer L. L. Bean was founded in Freeport, Maine, in 1912.
This page was last updated on October 01, 2017.