New Jersey is known for:
- Busy expressway
- Beautiful beaches
- Italian population
- Pork roll
- Industrial production, particularly in chemical, pharmaceutical, and food processing industries
Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 8,721 sq miles; Land Only: 7,417 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Eastern Time Zone|
||Delaware, New York, Pennsylvania|
|Highest Point||High Point, 1,803 feet|
|State Population (2020)||9,288,994|
|State Population Density||1,252.4 people / square mile|
||201, 551, 609, 640, 732, 848, 856, 862, 908, 973|
|Top 5 Cities (2020 population)
Jersey City (262,664)
Government & Legislature
|State Dance||Square dance|
|State Dinosaur||Hadrosaurus foulkii|
|State Fish||Brook trout|
||Purple violet |
||Liberty and prosperity|
|State Shell||Knobbed whelk|
|State Ship||The A. J. Meerwald|
|Major Sports Teams
||NFL: New York Giants, New York Jets|
NHL: New Jersey Devils
MLS: New York Red Bulls
USFL: New Jersey Generals
|NCAA Division I Schools
Fairleigh Dickinson University (Northeast)
Monmouth University (Metro Atlantic Athletic)
New Jersey Institute of Technology (Atlantic Sun)
Princeton University (Ivy)
Rider University (Metro Atlantic Athletic)
Rutgers University (Big Ten)
Saint Peter's University (Metro Atlantic Athletic)
Seton Hall University (Big East)
Popular Tourist Attractions
- Adventure Aquarium: Aquarium in Camden, New Jersey.
- Atlantic City Boardwalk: Entertainment section along the shoreline in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Cape May Zoo: Zoo in Cape May Court House, New Jersey.
- Ellis Island: Immigration gateway in the first half of the 20th century. Located between New Jersey and New York.
- George Washington Bridge: Suspension bridge in Fort Lee, New Jersey.
- Grounds for Sculpture: Sculpture garden in Hamilton Township, New Jersey.
- Kingda Ka: Roller coaster in Jackson, New Jersey.
- Liberty Science Center: Science museum in Jersey City, New Jersey.
- Liberty State Park: State park in Jersey City, New Jersey.
- Long Beach Island: Island off the eastern coast of New Jersey.
- PNC Bank Arts Center: Theater in Holmdel, New Jersey.
- Storybook Land: Amusement park in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey.
- Tear Drop Memorial: Sculpture to commemorate the September 11, 2001 attacks and the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, located in Bayonne, New Jersey.
- The Mills at Jersey Gardens: Outlet mall in Elizabeth, New Jersey.
- Turtle Back Zoo: Zoo in West Orange, New Jersey.
Popular Iconic New Jersey Foods
New Jersey is famous for the following foods:
- Pork Roll
- Italian Hot Dogs
- Salt Water Taffy
- Tomato Pie
- Jersey Hoagies
- Texas Weiner
- Disco Fries
- Fat Sandwich
- Sloppy Joe
Famous People Born In New Jersey
Nobel Prize Winners
United States Presidents
- Grover Cleveland (22nd and 24th President)
Pro Football Hall Of Fame Members
- Alex Wojciechowicz (Center, Linebacker. Inducted in 1968)
- Jim Ringo (Center. Inducted in 1981)
- Franco Harris (Running Back. Inducted in 1990)
- Lou Creekmur (Offensive Tackle, Offensive Guard. Inducted in 1996)
- Elvin Bethea (Defensive End. Inducted in 2003)
- Ed Sabol (Founder of NFL Films. Inducted in 2011)
- Bill Parcells (Coach. Inducted in 2013)
- Dave Robinson (Linebacker. Inducted in 2013)
- Steve Sabol (Contributor. Inducted in 2020)
- Paul Tagliabue (Contributor. Inducted in 2020)
- Drew Pearson (Wide Receiver. Inducted in 2021)
- Sam Mills (Linebacker. Inducted in 2022)
Baseball Hall Of Fame Players
- Billy Hamilton (Center Fielder. Inducted in 1961)
- Goose Goslin (Left Fielder. Inducted in 1968)
- Joe Medwick (Left Fielder. Inducted in 1968)
- Derek Jeter (Shortstop. Inducted in 2020)
Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame Players
- Bennie Borgmann (Guard. Inducted in 1961)
- John Roosma (Guard. Inducted in 1961)
- Don Barksdale (Center-Forward. Inducted in 1981)
- Tom Heinsohn (Center-Forward. Inducted in 1986)
- Rick Barry (Forward. Inducted in 1987)
- Carol Blazejowski (Guard. Inducted in 1994)
- Anne Donovan (Center. Inducted in 1995)
- Dennis Rodman (Forward. Inducted in 2011)
- Shaquille O'Neal (Center. Inducted in 2016)
- Tamika Catchings (Forward. Inducted in 2020)
- Val Ackerman (Contributor. Inducted in 2021)
Famous Actors And Actresses
- Michael Douglas
- Bebe Neuwirth
- Paul Rudd
- Kevin Spacey
- Meryl Streep
- Lauryn Hill
- Whitney Houston
- Jon Bon Jovi
- Paul Simon
- Frank Sinatra
- Nancy Sinatra
- Bruce Springsteen
- Dionne Warwick
Famous People In Other Fields
New Jersey Fun Facts
- New Jersey was named after the Isle of Jersey, an island in the English Channel.
- The first officially recorded, organized baseball game was played in Hoboken, New Jersey, on June 19, 1846.
- New Jersey is one of only two states where self-service filling of gasoline is prohibited. The other is Oregon.
- The properties in the United States version of the board game Monopoly are named after the streets of Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- New Jersey has the most diners in the world and is often referred to as the "Diner Capital of the World."
- The Union Watersphere, also known as the Union Water Tower, is the tallest water tower in the world. It is located in Union, New Jersey.
- The world's largest statue of a tooth (15 feet tall) is located in Trenton, New Jersey.
- Morristown National Historical Park, established in March, 1933, was the first national historic park in the United States.
- The first steam-powered ferry service in the United States began operation on October 11, 1811. The service was between Hoboken, New Jersey and Manhattan.
- The first balloon flight in America was made by Jean Pierre Blanchard. On January 9,1793, he landed a balloon at Deptford, New Jersey.
- On January 19, 1883, the first standardized incandescent electric lighting system with overhead wires began service in Roselle, New Jersey.
This page was last updated on January 30, 2023.