North Dakota is known for:
- Scenic landscape
- Natural resources
- Largest producer of honey
- Native American culture
Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 70,700 sq miles; Land Only: 68,976 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Central Time Zone, Mountain Time Zone|
||Minnesota, Montana, South Dakota|
|Highest Point||White Butte, 3,508 feet|
|National Parks||Theodore Roosevelt National Park|
|State Population (2020)||779,094|
|State Population Density||11.3 people / square mile|
|Top 5 Cities (2020 population)
Grand Forks (55,950)
West Fargo (38,194)
Government & Legislature
|Hononary State Equine||Nokota horse|
|State Dance||Square dance|
|State Fish||Northern pike|
||Wild prairie rose |
|State Fossil||Teredo petrified wood|
|State Grass||Western wheatgrass|
|State March||Flickertail March|
||Liberty and union, now and forever, one and inseparable|
||Sioux State; Flickertail State; Peace Garden State; Rough Rider State
|State Song||"North Dakota Hymn"|
Popular Tourist Attractions
- Bonanzaville, USA: History museum in West Fargo, North Dakota.
- Chahinkapa Zoo: Zoo in Wahpeton, North Dakota.
- Dakota Zoo: Zoo in Bismarck, North Dakota.
- Enchanted Highway: 30-mile stretch of road with roadside art between Gladstone and Regent, North Dakota.
- Fargo Air Museum: Aviation museum in Fargo, North Dakota.
- Fargo Theatre: Movie theater in Fargo, North Dakota.
- Fort Abraham Lincoln: State park in Mandan, North Dakota.
- Fort Mandan - Lewis and Clark Interpretative Center: Historical landmark in Washburn, North Dakota.
- International Peace Garden: Park on the North Dakota - Canada border.
- North Dakota Heritage Center: Museum in Bismarck, North Dakota.
- Plains Art Museum: Art museum in Fargo, North Dakota.
- Red River Zoo: Zoo in Fargo, North Dakota.
- Roosevelt Park Zoo: Zoo in Minot, North Dakota.
- SuperSlide Amusement Park: Amusement park in Bismarck, North Dakota.
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park: National park in western North Dakota.
Popular Iconic North Dakota Foods
North Dakota is famous for the following foods:
- Cheese Buttons
Famous People Born In North Dakota
Famous Actors And Actresses
- Leslie Bibb
- Angie Dickinson
- Josh Duhamel
North Dakota Fun Facts
- Dakota is the Sioux word for "friend" or "ally." The Dakota Territory was divided into North Dakota and South Dakota on November 2, 1889.
- The geographical center of North America is in Rugby, North Dakota.
- North Dakota holds the Guinness World Record for the most snow angels made simultaneously in one place. On February 17, 2007, 8,962 people made snow angels at the state capitol grounds.
- In North Dakota, it is legal to shoot an Indian on horseback, provided you are in a covered wagon.
- North Dakota is the only state in the country with a state-owned bank, the Bank of North Dakota.
- North Dakota's Jamestown, also known as Buffalo City, houses the "World's Largest Buffalo." The statue is 26 feet tall and 46 feet long.
- North Dakota's state capitol is 242 feet high. It is the tallest building in North Dakota.
- North Dakota is the coldest state in the contiguous United States.
- North Dakota is one of two states with an official State March: Flickertail March.
This page was last updated on March 01, 2022.