This page contains a wealth of information on the state of Virginia. Please click on the type of the fact that you are interested in:
Geography & Demographics
||Total (Land + Water): 42,774 sq miles; Land Only: 39,594 sq miles|
|Number of Counties
||Eastern Time Zone|
||Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia|
|Highest Point||Mount Rogers, 5,729 feet|
|National Parks||Shenandoah National Park|
|State Population (2020)||8,654,542|
|State Population Density||218.6 people / square mile|
||276, 434, 540, 571, 703, 757, 804, 826, 948|
|Top 5 Cities (2010 population)
Virginia Beach (437,994)
Government & Legislature
|State Bat||Virginia big-eared bat|
|State Boat||Chesapeake Bay deadrise|
|State Dog||American foxhound|
||American dogwood |
|State Folk Dance||Square dance|
|State Fossil||Cheaspecten jeffersonius|
|State Fresh Water Fish||Brook trout|
|State Insect||Tiger swallowtail butterfly|
|State Maple Festival||Highland County Maple Festival|
||Sic semper tyrannis (Thus always to tyrants)|
||The Old Dominion; Mother of Presidents|
|State Salt Water Fish||Striped bass|
|State Shell||Eastern oyster|
|State Song||"Our Great Virginia" (traditional), "Sweet Virginia Breeze" (popular)|
Popular Tourist Attractions
- Arlington National Cemetery: Military cemetery in Arlington, Virginia.
- Assateague Islands: Island on the eastern border of Virginia and Maryland. The Virginia section houses the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, famous for the wild Chincoteague ponies.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Scenic drive that goes through Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee.
- Busch Gardens Williamsburg: Theme park in Williamsburg, Virginia.
- Colonial Williamsburg: Museum in Williamsburg, Virginia.
- First Landing State Park: State park in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
- George Washington's Mount Vernon: Plantation house of George Washington, located in Mount Vernon, Virginia.
- Great Falls Park: Park in northern Virginia.
- Jamestown Settlement: First permanent English settlement in the Americas. Located in Jamestown, Virginia.
- Kings Dominion: Theme park in Doswell, Virginia.
- Luray Caverns: Cave in Luray, Virginia.
- Shenandoah National Park: National park along the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia.
- Shenandoah Valley: Valley in western Virginia.
- Skyline Drive: 109-mile road that runs the entire length of the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia.
- Thomas Jefferson's Monticello: Primary plantation of Thomas Jefferson, located in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- USS Wisconsin: Historic battleship in Norfolk, Virginia.
- Virginia Aquarium: Aquarium in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts: Art museum in Richmond, Virginia.
- Water Country USA: Water park in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Famous People Born In Virginia
Nobel Prize Winners
United States Presidents
- George Washington (1st President)
- Thomas Jefferson (3rd President)
- James Madison (4th President)
- James Monroe (5th President)
- William Henry Harrison (9th President)
- John Tyler (10th President)
- Zachary Taylor (12th President)
- Woodrow Wilson (28th President)
Pro Football Hall Of Fame Members
- Bill Dudley (Halfback. Inducted in 1966)
- Ace Parker (Quarterback. Inducted in 1972)
- Rosey Brown (Offensive Tackle. Inducted in 1975)
- Willie Lanier (Linebacker. Inducted in 1986)
- Fran Tarkenton (Quarterback. Inducted in 1986)
- Henry Jordan (Defensive Tackle. Inducted in 1995)
- Lawrence Taylor (Linebacker. Inducted in 1999)
- George Allen (Coach, General Manager. Inducted in 2002)
- Bruce Smith (Defensive End. Inducted in 2009)
- Charles Haley (Defensive End, Linebacker. Inducted in 2015)
- Kenny Easley (Strong Safety. Inducted in 2017)
Baseball Hall Of Fame Players
- Eppa Rixey (Pitcher. Inducted in 1963)
- Ray Dandridge (Third Baseman. Inducted in 1987)
- Leon Day (Pitcher. Inducted in 1995)
- Jud Wilson (Third Baseman. Inducted in 2006)
- Pete Hill (Center Fielder. Inducted in 2006)
Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame Players
- Moses Malone (Center-Forward. Inducted in 2001)
- Ralph Sampson (Center. Inducted in 2012)
- Alonzo Mourning (Center. Inducted in 2014)
- Allen Iverson (Guard. Inducted in 2016)
Famous Actors And Actresses
- Sandra Bullock
- Shirley MacLaine
- George C. Scott
- Chris Brown
- Missy Elliott
- Parrell Williams
Virginia Fun Facts
- Virginia was named for England's "Virgin Queen," Elizabeth I.
- Jamestown was the first permanent English settlement in the American Continent. It was also the first capital of Virginia.
- The Pentagon building in Arlington, Virginia is the largest office building in the world.
- The first theater in America was built at Williamsburg, Virginia in 1716.
- Virginia is the first state in the United States to elect a black governor: Douglas Wilder was elected as Governor in 1990.
- Virginia was one of the two states that donated land to build Washington D.C. The other state was Maryland.
- The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg is the second oldest in the United States, it was founded in 1693.
- Virginia is the only state with an official State Bat: Virginia big-eared bat.
- In Virginia, it is illegal to hunt wild animals on Sundays with the exception of raccoons, which may be hunted until 2:00 AM.
This page was last updated on May 01, 2021.